Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Heart Travel Agency I- Narnia

by Weichuen You 2005

Lately I've had problems sticking to the same style. My free spirit is too wild to be in control. I seek for inspirations from friends, books and all the sources imaginable. Maybe this is a phase in which I would like to experiment different media and styles. So I plan to start a new series called "Heart Travel Agency." I haven't tried seriously illustrating for others' stories and books for a long time. From now on, if I am particularly impressed by what I read, I'll make an attempt to do the illustration and I hope the pictures can take me and my viewers to new places they've never been to mentally and physically.

I read the beginning chapter of The Chronicles of Narnia-the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe yesterday. I am not too much into C. S. Lewis' writing, but the interesting story held my attention even during my drowsy ride to work. Then I came upon the description of the scenery inside the wardrobe. I felt the need to put down the image on paper. So here it is. I'd like to quote the passage as well.

Next moment she found that what was rubbing against her face and hands was no longer soft fur but something hard and rough and even prickly. "Why, it is just like branches of trees!" exclaimed Lucy. And then she saw that there was a light ahead of her; not a few inches away where the back of the wardrobe ought to have been, but a long way off. Something cold and soft was falling on her. A moment later she found that she was standing in the middle of a wood at night-time with snow under her feet and snowflakes falling through the air.

No comments: