Thursday, August 25, 2005

Water girl's fantastic dream

This is actually a surrealistic dream I had a few months ago. I was really impressed by the image of all the trains waiting in the huge station of Hague when I traveled to Netherlands last summer. Instead of opting for this means of transportation, I went to France by plane later. Maybe it was the unfulfilled wish that gave me the dream.

What is it all about then? I see trains advancing at a fast speed in the sea. And I am in a race with them. The only difference is that I ride a bike. I am not worried about falling into the water. There's something about it that holds all the objects up. I do not see the bottom of the sea, but it feels like I were on land. It's even better, with the blue seawater caressing me gently yet playfully. People seem to equally enjoy sea-bathing. They hail me in a very friendly manner. What a lovely dream...

So I decided to put the image down on paper today. I don't have to live by the sea or swim every day to remember the beauty of water. It's right in my head.

5 comments:

Cisco said...

Most of my water dreams tend to be rather violent;
churning, dark, destructive. Funny the way dreams make us feel hu?..
I followed your link from Illustration Friday

carla said...

Even without your explanation, your illustration looks like a dream. You've really captured the forward motion of the trains and the bicycle, and even though the idea of trains and bicylcles being in the water with swimming people doesn't make a bit of sense...it works here! That's how dreams are. I like it.

Rowantree said...

Really surreal, cool !!

Weichuen You said...

Cisco:

Water is more intimidating to me in reality. I had some really awful experiences in swimming pools even after I had learned how to swim. In dreams, water represents something friendly, something I long for. Ha, you know what? In my Chinese name, there is much water. I guess that's why I am so attached to the image of water:-).

Carla:

Thanks for commenting on my drawings. In fact, I wasn't quite satisified with the result. In my dream, everything is colorful. However, I suddenly decided to color only the blue sea, which created an effect I hadn't imagined. There isn't much breakthrough in this painting. It in a way resembles much one illustration I did before. But I am glad to share my dream with other people anyway:-).

Rowantree:

You can still practice playing the piano:-). It's just like my brother always criticizes my work. It's very important to focus on what you are after and ignore what people say.

Bon courage!

Lindsay said...

Hi found you on illio friday. Love your work. Its charming and color ful...very fanciful too!