Sunday, August 07, 2005

French mania

To better understand a culture, it's inevitable that we assign certain stereotypes to its people. For Taiwanese, the word French conjures up images of cafés, romantic guys, croissants etc. And too often, these stereotypes reflect only a group of people's bias toward another group of people. They are what we insist on believing, but they might not be true. For me, French are in no ways different from Taiwanese. We both have our vices and strengths.

So, how would I describe French? An interesting word came into my mind when we were strolling downtown in Rouen tonight. "Mania." It's neither complimentary nor derogatory. French stick to certain things or principles with such tenacity, which really fascinates me, or sometimes I have to say this facet in their personalities sort of bothers me. Here is my not-very-objective conclusion:

1. Smoking mania: Even in an outdoor square in France, it's impossible not to be envelopped in the mist and odor of cigarettes. People give signals of their approach by this repugnant smell. For non-smokers, it signifies more like a way to define territories. "This part is mine. Don't intrude upon it, or I'd poison you slowly to death." I might sound paranoid, but French people's need for cigarettes is impressive. Yet, once one is stuck to it, even a simple yet luscious taste becomes bland. There should always be one more spoonful of salt, sugar, sex, drugs to make life more livable. How to make them know that they can resolve problems without any cigarettes? Well, fortunately, I do not work in the smoke-quitting propagation department in the French government.

2. Art mania: It's rather inappropriate to use "mania" for this rather positive quality. Excuse me, but I'd like to present the image of a classy writer. I'd love to give a personal example. My stupid drawings always receive rave reviews among French. At home my difficult brothers would spend their whole lives dissuading me from drawing, which rather frustrated me in the beginning. However, friends here see the good things in my lines and colors. They respond actively to any artistic expression. For me, there are always sources of inspirations. We came across the spetacular performance in Rouen tonight. Monet's paintings were projected on the big church he painted at different times of the day. It was totally an accident, but I was more than glad to be part of this beautiful feast for the eyes.

3. Roundabout mania: French overthrew my conviction that traffic lights make life more simple. For them, there were more car accidents and death tolls with the either-stop-or-proceed choice. They figured that roundabouts could cause less harm and give people time to slow down and decide which direction to take before finally rushing that way. It appeared to be very confusing when I traveled in France for the first time with friends. Gradually, we took delight in circling around, enjoying the scenery, and even becoming the eye-catching sight in turning around and around for more than 5 times. Several days ago, I was very honored to witness the construction of a new roundabout on my way to the countryside. So, roundabouts are to soften the impetuous French after they take a pot of nicotine and a bucket of alcohol. What a dramatic life...

4. Freedom mania: As the three principles of French Revolution suggest, freedom, or liberty, is a very important part of this culture. There are always loopholes in laws and rules. As long as people are not caught right on the spot, why not? Freedom in love symbolizes liberation from many conventional taboos, but on the other hand, it means some people's feeling will be terribly hurt. So what? In the film "Belle maman," Vincent Lindon marries the young Mathilde Seigner, but he falls in love with her mom played by Catherine Deneuve right at first sight in the wedding. In the end he leaves the daughter for the mom. Quite a shocking story for me, but life goes on. Each person finds his own way. I don't know if there is a limit to French freedom. If the answer is no, I won't be surprised.

To be continued...

No comments: