Friday, August 26, 2005

Paper moon

I have heard about this story for almost 29 years and I have told people about it again and again. Today it occurred to me to put it down on paper.

It was the eve before Chinese Moon Festival. Snow was about to give birth to her first child. The ward was almost empty. Apart from the struggle with the stubborn baby who refused to come out, she felt very lonely. Her young husband was not by her side. Her only companion was the big, round paper moon on the white wall. She thought of the families that gathered together celebrating the holiday, the merry crowds out there, the noisy laughter and shouts on the streets.

Snow was not alone, physically. It was just that she knew nothing about the little life in her bulging stomach. She felt as if the total unkown had envelopped her. Also the pain...

I think my mom will appreciate me for creating such a beautiful story about my birth. Back to the reality. I was the hard-headed baby and I still am, to some extent. My birthday is about to come. Besides, I have been quite obssessed with the topic of giving birth lately. If I never have my own children, I will bear in mind the scene my mom repeats to me all my life.

No comments: