Wednesday, July 13, 2005

veggie-stuffing mania


This evening Annick and I struggled between the crying of her little grandson and making stuffed onions and tomatoes. French recipes are too foreign for me, not just in terms of the vocabulary, but also the French ways of preparing food. I happened to see on TV a few days ago certain chef teaching people how to empty all the round-shaped veggies imaginable and put innovational stuffing inside. Stuffing exists in Chinese cuisine too. If I do not remember wrong, in some restaurants, fried rice is served within an empty pineapple. But I am really impressed with French passion for stuffing. Maybe this explains why I learned the word "farci", which means "stuffed" before other verbs frequently seen in French cookbooks.

So, how do the stuffed veggies taste? I might not be in an objective position to answer the question. I did notice another interesting thing about the French cooking style. It seems common to grind ingredients and in the end everything tastes like baby food, only with different tastes. Since my teeth are one of the few organs that still works normally, I really prefer to see food cooked and preserved in its original form. Well, today I do not understand the French tastes...Or maybe it's time to cast aside my prejudice and accept the "tender" side of French cuisine.

No comments: