Thursday, July 14, 2005

Moules sans frites


Unlike Taiwan, there isn't a great variety of seafood in local supermarkets here, but mussels are a main specialty. Tourists pigging on a huge plate of mussels along with a mountain of french fries is a classic summer scene. When I first learned that mussels can be a main course, my amazement was beyond words, but afterwards it was replaced by a sense of loss. I had devoured hundreds of innocent mussels, but I knew I would be hungry soon. I grew up with the firm idea that mussels are for side dishes or soups and it's impossible to change how people think of each kind of food.

At home we eat more clams in home-made cuisine. Mussels are rarer and more expensive. I'd like to profit from the vacation here and please my tastebuds. After all, mussels are a fantastic dish when seasoned with garlic and white wine. For those who are particular about the visual effect, add some parsley and slices of red chili to garnish it. Voilà! This is by no means a dish reserved only for restaurant chefs.

Too bad I have long quit eating french fries, for the sane sake of my health. However, that doesn't stop me from picturing the heavenly combination for the gustatory orgasm.

No comments: