Friday, July 15, 2005

a forest person and a sea person


The sea around the coast of Normandy is not attractive, not even in summer. In fact, it's even intimidating on cloudy days. D didn't hesitate to confess his preference for forests when we first talked about the question, "Do you prefer the moutains or the sea?" So we have got into the habit of strolling in the forests after diner since last summer.

There is nothing flagrant or special about the forests in Normandy. For professional tourists, they are far from being tourist spots. It takes calm to enjoy the vast land of trees. Sometimes we hear animals respond to one another in their unique ways of communication. I think forests reflect D's personality to a certain degree. The trees do not give explicit messages. They are silent and immobile, but they live. With time and curiosity, those who are interested will learn and love them. That is what D is like.

I was in love with the sea, even before I knew how to swim. I think of my love for it as innate in all islanders. The blue water thrills me. The sounds of waves charm me, and the sunshine that glitters on the sea never fails to delight me for a whole day. When I live on continents, I feel the urgent need to go to the sea. Ridiculous as this might sound, I do hold a deep and unexplicable feeling for water.

So is a forest person compatible with a sea person? Can a night person spend a whole life still in love with a morning person? Sometimes I play stupid on purpose and attribute my worries to our personality differences while deep in my heart I know they don't cause any problem. Perhaps I just need to be assured and reassured and you have forgotten that.

As long as we are together, we can see some of the forests and some of the sea. It's nothing but a humble wish...

No comments: