Sunday, July 10, 2005

La joie de manger


How to self-entertain in a country where all the stores are closed on Sundays? I am not going to wail simply because there is no KTV or department stores to visit. After all, I am not a party animal even in Taipei. Instead, we eat, to celebrate living, to make life more bearable, even pleasant.

Don't ask me how French cuisine is like. We don't eat anything except "my" cuisine. I dwell with a family that endures or even enjoys my crazy ideas. After the debutant training last summer, I am now a second-grade student in Normandy culinary school. (Oh, by the way, I am the only student here, also janitor, dean, professor, all in one.) This year the courses are mainly focused on creative cooking. No need to worry about the lack of authentic Taiwanese ingredients. Cooking is just about making the best use of what is left in the fridge and combining the best in cuisine from different places. I call this "cuisine without boundaries."

Question of the day: What is hidden in the aluminum packs?

No comments: