Monday, July 11, 2005

Eternal addiction to croissants



If in a comprehension test of French food I really had to give an answer about my overall knowledge, I would say, "croissants" and "croissants" still. Last summer I snacked away countless croissants as breakfast, afternoon tea; it was just impossible to stop. Hard to describe why I could never touch croissants at home , but I was totally under the spell here. It was not until I tried to transport some croissants home that I realized the secret to its heavenly taste was the ample amount of butter and oil. After an exhausting long journey, the crispy layers were furrowed, oil stuck to the inner side of the plastic bag. How disastrous...

This year I gained some pounds, thus not so free to indulge myself with the tasty yet greasy croissants. The first morning I dieted on yogurts and fruits. I took pride in the fact that my addiction had finally come to an end. "Oh, we do all need to grow up and stop eating certain kind of food..." The second day, the healthful diet still lasted, and it seemed to work fine. The third day, the fourth day...I have forgot when a faint voice started to whisper in me the craving for croissants, but it was obvious that the voice became louder and louder, and my desire was monstrous. One day after the "healthy" breakfast, I gave the excuse of taking a morning stroll and sneaking into the bakery to get some croissants and pain chocolat. I couldn't help chew one away. "How can I live without croissants here?" Whether thin or fat, they are never on my list of must-not-eat.

There are some addictions which we'll never grow out of and as a matter of fact, there is no need to because that will do nothing but take away some sunshine from the dull daily life.

No comments: