Monday, July 04, 2005

Gloomy Normandy


This is the view when I look out from my window. If I am lucky, the warm-yet-not-tingling sun might smile upon me. Unfortunately, sometimes summer in Normandy is just sad and gray as its winter. Tons of French people flock to the south for the lovely sunshine and the sea. I am too rebellious to make the same choice. Well, then I need to be mentally strong enough not to be overwhelmed by the melancholiness of Normandy.

As a matter of fact, I traveled from the north of my island to the north of France. But there is such a difference to the sunshine of the two places. Where I am from, the sun never hesitates to embrace or even to penetrate into us. It loves to see us sweat and curse and that is the proof of its existence. Here, the sunshine is timid. Most of the time, it seeks for the courage to show its face. Even when it appears, it is never aggressive. It's a diffident lover that needs to be encouraged and loved.

What's my lesson then? Learning to love the sentimental Normandy...

No comments: