Sunday, July 10, 2005

la joie de manger II



Like most of you, I scream and drool uncontrollably at the thought of biting the sweet yet thick roll of Peking duck, but the sauce isn't easy to come by. Fortunately, I still have cookbooks and recipes to thumb through. There must be ways to cook duck meat apart from the elaborate Peking-duck style.

Let's make the most of the duck fat. It will bring out a simply yet tempting flavor with the help of salt and pepper. Meanwhile, I decide to try two different flavors, one seasoned with soy sauce and the other with butter. After the preparation, the plate is sent into the oven for about 45 minutes. Voila, here is a new yet beautiful combination of duck and celery.

Life in Taiwan is full of bright-colored and impressive shots. We are to be entertained as long as we pay for it. We eat, move and get on the roads, on and on and on. If we don't feel like thinking, there is really no need to. While I miss that kind of life, I learn to calm down here and take delight in three meals, grocery shopping, taking baths and most of all, I think about what I want to be. Being such an international member of the global village, it's hard to live without any one of them, I have to confess.

No comments: