Sunday, March 04, 2012

York / 約克


約克位於英格蘭北方,距離倫敦火車程約兩個半小時。

York is located in the north of England, about 2.5 hours of train ride from London. 


話說最近實在太多工程在倫敦路上進行著,所以經過某些路段塞車特別嚴重,像我這麼謹慎的人已經提早出門,居然還是錯過火車車班!來回打過折的票價是六十磅,櫃台人員說車票已經不能用,得重新買票,打折的單程票價是六十磅!英國真的隨時隨地都讓人覺得他們很窮,但我們也很窮,所以我們決定拿著原有的票上車,一上車真是戰戰競競,因為去程驗票員是一定會來的,也很有可能他會叫我們重買票,並且付上罰款,看到車掌來我剛好去上廁所,出來的時候很誠實地把票給他看,他領我到我家小妹妹面前,非常善良地對我們說:你們是不是沒搭上上一班?我們的眼神裡充滿了可憐,他居然說:回程要注意時間喔!英國真的還是有好人啊!

There has been so much roadwork going on in London that there are surely traffic jams on certain roads. I have always been known for my prudence. Even though I left home an hour earlier, we still missed the train ride! The return tickets with the Railcard price is 60 pounds, but the clerk behind the counter said the tickets were no longer valid. We would have to buy new tickets, and a single ride with the Railcard is 60 pounds! The British government constantly gives me the impression that this country is economically desperate. Anyway, we are poor too, so we decided to get on the next train with our old tickets. However, we felt being on thin ice since for the the outbound ride from London, the ticket inspectors are bound to come to check the tickets. It was very likely that he asked us to buy new tickets and pay the fine as well. Upon seeing the ticket inspector come, I happened to go to the toilet. When I came out, I showed my ticket to him with total honesty. He took me to Jazel and Scarlet, asking us with all the kindness in the world, "Did you miss your train?" We looked at him begging him with our eyes. He said, "Be sure you are on time  for the ride back to London!" Well, there are still very kind-hearted people in the UK! 


約克市章。

Arms of City of York. 


好像每個城市都得來個摩天輪。

It seems that there is Ferris Wheel in many British cities. 




第一眼的約克印象。約克就像倫敦以外的城市,在市中心都可以走來走去,很平易近人。

My first impression of York. It is like any other city apart from London. You can walk around in the city centre. The major tourist attractions are accessible. 






當地的新加坡友人帶我們去「邪惡眼」餐廳吃南洋菜。結論是,在英國還是吃英國菜就好。

Julia, the Singaporean girl that studies in York, took us to Evil Eye Lounge for Singaporean and Malaysian food. My conclusion was that in the UK, eat as the Brits do. 


為方家男孩們拍的雙層巴士茶壺。

I took the photo especially for Von and Kai. 




約克大教堂。

York Minster. 


市中心有許多適合步行的商店街。

There are streets lined with shops in the centre, quite nice for a stroll. 


茱莉亞妹妹推薦的瘋狂奶昔,就是把各種糖果餅乾加牛奶用果汁機去打,我覺得英國不適合久待,因為飲食實在太不健康了,要不然就是要很有自制力。

Milkshake from "Milkshack" recommended by Julia. Well, it's milkshake with milk and all sorts of sweets. I really don't think it's good for me to live in the UK for long because the food here is very dangerous for health. Or I would have to be very self-disciplined. 






這是肉砧街,shambles是shammels的諧音,為肉舖之意,街上兩邊是緊鄰的木造房屋,以前聚集肉舖,因為怕肉在陽光暴曬下壞掉,就形成這種特別的建築風格。

This is the Shambles. "Shambles" comes from the Anglo-Saxon word "fleshshammels," meaning shelves butchers used to display their meat. The street is lined with timber-constructed houses. Butchers used to gather here, and to stop meat from being exposed to the sun, the houses were built close to one another. 




現在這條街上沒有肉舖,倒是有些甜點店,約克之前以糕點和鐵路業聞名,所以路上到處都是喝下午茶的茶館。

Now there is no butchery on this street, but there are some dessert shops. York used to be known for confectionery and railway business, so we saw tearooms everywhere downtown. 






露天市集。

The open-air market. 


茱莉亞大力推薦的茶館。

The tea house recommended by Julia. 






這間餐廳真的很「高尚」。

This restaurant is really "posh."




妹妹們點的下午茶配司康,這一套叫「cream tea」。

The girls ordered cream tea which came in with tea and two scones. 


敝人因為有隱疾,居然破天荒地點了燻鮭魚蛋餅配沙拉。

Well, I was tortured by a very secret chronic problem, so to my own surprise, I ordered smoked salmon omelette with leaves. 








也很適合散步的約克夏博物館。

It was nice to go for a walk around Yorkshire Museum. 


前往國家鐵路博物館!

On our way to National Railway Museum! 


小方和楷弟的最愛。

Von and Kai's love.






博物館裡有真的月台。

There are life-size platforms inside the museum. 






古早味。

A taste of the past. 




皇家車廂內一景。

Inside the royal train. 


我猜是貨運火車。

This should be freight train in my guess. 


歐洲之星。

Eurostar. 


日本新幹線。

Japanese Shinkansen. 






看火車看到頭要暈了。

These trains made me dizzy...




走護城牆俯看約克,且呼吸新鮮空氣。

We walked on the city wall path and breathed fresh air. 


約克再見!這真是個好地方,物價低廉,不像倫敦擁擠,很愜意的一天。

Goodbye York! This is such a wonderful place with relative low living costs and not so many people compared with London. What a leisurely day...

2 comments:

shangyu said...

哇~妳遇到的查票員人真好,有時還真得看是什麼人呢!也有那一板一眼的,幸好,一切都很順利:)

Double-decker造型的茶壺真是可愛.

我也好想吃英國的scone喔!是我以前待那兒時的主食之一呢!

小方超愛鐵路博物館的,他說以後能去英國的話,他最想去的城市就是York ^_^

Weichuen You said...

對啊,如果遇到嚴厲的查票員,真的是要破產了。

小方以後也來英國念書算了:)他對英國已經有無比的好印象啦!