Saturday, May 05, 2007

Mother and daughter, traveling together 2 / 媽媽和我的旅行 2

第二章(上)─旅行公約

Chapter 2 (part I): Traveling Pacts

photo taken at Hotel Andreina, Rome

Mom and I haven't traveled together for ages. I am not so familiar with her quirks when it comes to traveling and vice versa. According to my experiences, it's wiser to say out loud our do's and dont's in the open. In this way, we'll have a better mutual understanding and more fun along the way.

Traveling is all about accepting people the way they are...

"Mom, the following are our traveling pacts."
"What? Pacts for traveling???"

photo 1 taken at Venice
photo 2 taken at Pisa


1.Veggie-mania:

I can go to extremes in many aspects, and eating happens to be one of them. To be honest, I am not a vegetarian, but I tend to be paranoid about my health on trips. Well, especially the annoying constipation. On the contrary, Mom can't survive without meat. We end up struggling between meat and veggies every day.

"Let's eat nothing but veggies and fruits on this trip!"
"Go veggie?"

"I am still hungry..."

photo 1 taken at Florence
photo 2 taken at Naples

photo 3 taken at Hotel Bologna, Florence

"Yummy!"
"Eat the meat with some salads!"



"I am so FULL!"
"I have it up to my throat!"

photos taken at Fiumicino Train Station, Rome

2. Must-know for the stray lambs:

There is no know-it-all tour guide on our self-service trip, but we don't need to worry at all. Mom has me, and I have maps and my mouth. Sometimes every little detail points to THE DIRECTION. It's purely fear that blindfolds us. Besides, getting lost isn't really that scary. As a matter of fact, it can lead to new, unexpected adventures!

"Gee, self-help trips mean 'getting lost!'"
"Don't panic! Sometimes the direction we are looking for is RIGHT THERE!"

photos taken at Venice

3. Take our time:

Our daily life is packed with too many insignificant routines. We rush from one task to another, almost nonstop. When traveling, we should avoid the same thing. Instead, we should take our time to observe how other people lead their lives. To me, traveling is not about visiting as many tourist traps as possible, but about learning from what we haven't seen and experienced before.

"What is all this fuss about?"
"Let's just hurry up!"

"We are TRAVELING! We should slow down and enjoy every moment to the full!"

to be continued...


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

噢,好喜歡"迷路時必知"右邊那張唷: )


昨天體育課跑大隊接力,我們班只花了5分33秒唷!!比上次進步了20秒耶!!大家都超開心的,直呼老大在英文課的預測真是神準

Anonymous said...

看來你媽媽跟你出去旅行,還能學到不少道理哩!真是有趣!:]
可以慢走閒晃,也是我嚮往自助旅行的重要原因之一呀!

constance wong said...

It's so funny to read about the eating part :D

Weichuen You said...

薛吉:看來大家都很認真,這就是接力賽的意義啊!

spookie: 其實我媽大部分時間才懶得理我,她可能覺得我很囉唆。

自助旅行不難,妳今年夏天也試試看吧!

constance: Eating is indeed a very important part when it comes to traveling to a new country!

Callipygia said...

For me travel is such a dynamic between relaxing and stressing. Viva les vegetables-

Weichuen You said...

Calli: That's so true. Well, we always begin with the goal of eating more veggies, but we can hardly fight against the temptation of meat:-). We'll try again this coming summer...

Marc said...

Those seem like good travelling guidelines!

So, you've got plans for the summer?

Weichuen You said...

marc: I am traveling to Japan, with my mom, again! So I figure when we come back, I can write the sequel to this story:-).