Thursday, April 26, 2007

Mother and daughter, traveling together 1 / 媽媽和我的旅行 1

第一章─我們要一起旅行!

Chapter 1: We are taking a trip together!

pictures taken at Fiumicino Airport, Rome

Again it is time for me to travel, but my companions found their better halves one after another. Since I am not the kind of person that'll sit around and do nothing just because I can't find any travel mate, I decide to explore the world by myself again.

Summer, 2006

"Beautiful, sexy Italy! Here I am!"

"Here I am too!"
"Mama! What are you doing here?"

"Well, with Mom by my side, all my beautiful fantasies are shattered. In the meanwhile, it's really mean of me to say that..."

pictures taken in Taipei city

Then unforgettable images of my childhood flit across my mind-Mom and I had conflicts, shed tears and staged cold wars in different corners of the city. Now, more than twenty years later, I still remember every little detail.

I have grown up, Mom has aged. Will everything be different?

"Sweetie, here comes the train!"

Mom and I didn't travel together for years. She always accompanied my dad. I chose my companions freely, or went on trips alone. We are aware how different our traveling styles and needs are, so we never force each other to compromise. We love each other, but we leave much freedom for each other too. This is one of the unwritten traditions in my family.
For me, an ideal trip includes the company of a close friend or a lover that knows me well. It has hardly occurred to me that Mom and I will take a long trip together. However, after she retired from her lifelong career, she yearns to travel around the world so much. I then am her only hope.
I can't stay cheerful along the way. I'd like to show my mom the world, but I am weighed down with many insignificant worries.
"Sweetie, you see, the scenery is just lovely!"

When the train takes us into downtown Rome, I have thought things through. Since we've decided to travel together, I'll have to open my heart. Mom and I both possess wonderful personalities. We shall have few problems getting along with each other on the trip. Besides, I don't believe it will be more difficult than traveling with complete strangers, which I also tried in the past.
So, we are going to begin our adventure in Italy together!
"As we are going to travel together, we have to take care of and put up with each other!"
"Deal!"

7 comments:

Marc said...

Ha ha! Is your mom looking at the young men?

You're lucky to share some special time like this together! I wouldn't mind travelling with my mom... but I still live with her, so I don't feel the need to! :p

Unknown said...

不會 吧!真是太巧了!

Callipygia said...

travel is all about exploration and discovery. Human relationships are too. In this case traveling with your mother must bring up so much to draw.

Weichuen You said...

marc: It is me that look at the guys:-).

I also live with my mom, but a while ago it occurred to me that I might not be able to travel with my mom all the time. When she becomes too old to travel, these memories will be very precious. That's why I decided to write the story...

maki: 可能我們有很類似的童年經驗吧。

Calli: Yes...I learned from many students that the mother-daughter relationships can be so intriguing, and the experiences made me look at my relationship with my mom. I can only say that the whole thing has brought me much feedback...

Anonymous said...

跟媽媽自助旅行!?
想必一開始很掙扎吧?呵
但能創造這些值得記得一輩子的美好回憶,
還是很讓人羨慕!:]

constance wong said...

oh this is just wonderful! I can't wait for the next adventure you had with your mom and it's just the beginning...miragee you HAVE TO publish your travel-illo book soon ok?

he! he! the only thing about traveling with parents is that you have to behave yourself and try not to stare too much at those handsome guys you meet during the journey! ;)

Weichuen You said...

spookie: 不到「掙扎」啦!只是原來有的自由度會稍微降低,不過從另一個角度想,很多人想和父母一起旅行也沒辦法,所以這應該是很幸福的事!

Constance: I never forget the travel book idea. As a matter of fact, I've decided to focus on this subject and I have talked to some people about this. I'll try to write to some publishers this coming summer as well. I really appreciate you for giving me such a brilliant idea!