Saturday, January 28, 2006

Glamour of lilacs

by Weichuen You 2005

This is an old post from November, 2005 and I think some friends know that. So they probably know that I am going to tell the same story for the 101st time. Every May, people in Rochester, N.Y. await the coming of spring season eagerly. The one and only sign is the blooming of lilacs! Back at home, I hardly paid attention to the changes of plants because they're there practically all the time. There are different flowers for every season, and sometimes the same flowers blossom more than once within a year. It sounds crazy, but when people are always accompanied by so much "vitality" of nature, we tend to take everything for granted.

That April it still snowed. I was almost at the end of my patience, also at the bottom of my mood. The temperature rose in May, though it resembled more the winter in Taiwan. Bored and disappointed, I decided to give the lilac show a try.

It was a chilly day. The sky was sort of gray and rain was expected at any moment. But I DIDN'T EXPECT THE LILACS TO BE SO GLAMOUROUS! Since when did blooming flowers become so gorgeous? Especially when there was a vast sea of them..."So why did I feel so low?" I asked myself. I couldn't think of a good reason...

I'd seen mountains of azaleas and cherry flowers thousands of times in my life, but it was the lilacs that taught me to appreciate the glamour of silent things.

16 comments:

WCTs said...

Nice details..and love the floating people!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful drawing.Well done! I like very much colours!Bravo

Lovekandinsky said...

I agree with Lyn--love the floating people. Gives it a lyrical grace and beauty.

isay said...

i love how their bodies swayed-you have captured the feeling in your story.

valerie walsh said...

really nice! love your floating friends and love your epiphany!!!

Weichuen You said...

It's interesting cuz when I drew the people, I didn't have the idea that they were swaying or floating. Maybe my subconsciousness wanted that badly:-).

Thank you for the heart-warming comments:-).

Unknown said...

lovely and charming illo!!

The Unknown said...

Fun. Nice story.
love

Radha a.k.a Ratlion said...

Hello! Have to agree with everyone with regard to the 'floating' people...love the overall dream-like feel of the whole painting...

CRISTOSOVA said...

That the lilacs taught you to appreciate the glamour of silent things is a very beautiful description. Your painting matches, it is calm and sweet in there!

Anonymous said...

reminds me of chagall's paintings. very pretty!

Anonymous said...

i love your stories.

this is a beautiful illustration. the detail in those trees is fantastic.

Zórdís said...

I love how they are floting whilst they are enjoying the flowers. This is gorgeous. Well done

elegraph said...

this is a sweet illo, and just the thing to brighten a dreary winter day.

Tricia said...

Coming from Rochester myself, you captured the explosion of color and the way they make you feel exactly! Wish you had prints... or do you?

Weichuen You said...

Thank you for all your comments.

I don't have any print, but I plan to make postcards in one or two months. If you leave me with your address, I will send them to those who are interested in my pictures.

Thank you very much.