Saturday, January 21, 2006

cats

by Weichuen You 2006

"Mama, what is the girl doing?"
"I think she is afraid of us."
"Why? Doesn't she know that we wear the same colors of clothes? We can be friends!"

"Huh...When are you leaving?"

I think I am the only person with no stocks of cat drawings. I know, it's shocking to hear that I am afraid of cats, apart from dogs. In fact, the former are much more intimidating for me. Cats are very playful and bold. And they know better than any other human being my fear for them. Maybe it's because they can see through me that I dare not approach them. I'd like to remain mysterious sometimes:-).

Today I was tempted to use only three colors-black, red and white. A simple combination of colors can actually heighten the effect. I mixed red respectively with white and black to reveal the inner feelings of cats and the character, calm and cool for the former, tense for the latter. And I'd wanted to do paintings with acrylic effect for a long time. When I laid thick layers of water-colors on the paper, one sentence came to my mind, "This is what we call 'life'!"

8 comments:

isay said...

you have lots of story to tell miragee. i like this one-different from the rest. and you have used three colors only.

by the way, i don't think i made a mistake in typing your site in my template - don't know now what is really wrong.

Anonymous said...

You've done a great jiob interpreting your feelings - a true artist!

Anonymous said...

Your stories are always so nice, to use I word i kind f dislike, but use all the time. I really like your illustration too! I don't have any stocks of cat illustrations either.

Zórdís said...

Nice and open hearted story. Hope you get over your fear like the cats are adorable animals but that doesn´t go for all. Nice work and crafty.

Weichuen You said...

To isay:

I was born a story-teller, or as my cousin calls me, "drama queen." I can dramatize every little boring thing I see:-).

As for the link, I will contact one friend to see how come he can link his website to mine.

To Anonymous:

I am an artist in spirit, but I have A LOT to learn when it comes to techniques.

To benconservato:

It's so nice to learn that there is someone else with no stocks of cat drawings:-). Thank you.

To Zordis:

Hey, thank you for constantly visiting my blog. I love your art too!

Leeza Hernandez Illustrator said...

Great entry and sorry to hear of your cat woes. I had a friend who had the same problem, and my cats always made a beeline for her when she visited, because I think ... they knew. Perhaps they are trying to say, it's okay, we like you, you can like us too. I like the simple colour palette, too.

Regina said...

You did a wonderful job portraying your fear of cats. THanks for sharing your stories!

Tony Sarrecchia said...

Wonderful job capturing fear. Good use of colors to enhance the fear you feel. Overall, a very good illo.