Saturday, October 22, 2005

Remote

by Weichuen You 2000

I sank into a fit of blues during my days in Rochester, NY. One year before I was a young girl full of ambitions and dreams, but the difficult life of a foreign student wore me out mentally and physically. There were always tons of books to read, cold and snowy days seemed endless, and I was never in a satisfactory relationship. I was so far from my original expectations. I was far from where I had come from. Worse, the future goal was equally remote. I was in the middle of nowhere.

On a gray May morning, the drizzling rain triggered off my nostalgia. Somehow the snapshots of my childhood came back to me. I thought of something that had been buried deep in my memories. My grandma and I watched the traditional Taiwanese opera together when I was a little kid. I had never liked the noise and the dazzling colors of the shows. Yet every remote detail came back and it was so pleasant. I could feel the air, the passion of the audience, even the hot and humid air in summer. In a way I crossed the boundary of time and space. I felt so warmly wrapped inside while my body still remained in Rochester. Then I realized that maybe what I considered remote wasn't that faraway...

4 comments:

Todd DeWolf said...

Very beautiful illo. Very vibrant. I Loved the story-it definitely is not easy being away from what is familiar to us. Well done.

Catnapping said...

you use such beautiful colours, and they show how vivid your memories are.

carla said...

It is wonderful to have such warm and colorful memories to retreat into when you feel far away and lonely. This is so colorful,and full of fun, and like all your illustrations, it tells a story. I always enjoy the narrative aspect of your work along with its visual beauty!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful treatment of 'remote'!