Sunday, May 14, 2006

Angels and Devils / 又愛又恨

When I was at school, I never belonged to any major girl group. Being a self-complacent loner, I was not very sensitive to the secret conflicts that went on among other girls. If I was ever considered a member of any group, it was more by accident than out of my choice.

Since I started teaching in the current school almost five years ago, I have learned a lot about the ecology in a very unnatural environment where there are only young gals. On the one hand, I am glad to be spared the blunt directness of male teenagers. On the other hand, it's not necessarily easier to live with creatures with extremely sensitive and delicate mind.

No doubt, I love these young girls. They make my daily life colorful with their lovely thoughts and considerate deeds. But it's a different story among themselves. At an age when peer friendship is desperately sought, they are angels when they open up their arms and embrace a new girl with touching warmth. However, if they don't like someone, their indifference or rejection can turn heaven into hell for the stranger.

Who would believe young girls, with only beautiful youth and innocence, can have so much power?

Special thanks to Mr. Matisse, for letting me borrow his fantastic inspiration:-)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes, little girls are definately little devils in disguise. I used to go to an all girl school, and was baffled at how they changed so quickly.

Weichuen You said...

Yep, it's not easy to understand them if you do not adjust your mindset:-).

Anonymous said...

為什麼要用全英文....
不想讓可愛的小女生閱讀嗎?...

哇~我要字典....

Unknown said...

It's amazing the power of girls and youth. Wonderful interpretation Miragee. The illustrations are excellant.

valerie walsh said...

this is a beautiful and thoughtful post and I love the flow of your illo! Sensitive idea for this theme and so well written!!!

Unknown said...

charming beautiful illos!

Marc said...

Yes, very charming illustrations!

I was myself a "self-complacent loner", as you put it. Loners of the world, UNITE!

:p

Natura said...

Like the story and also the lovely illustration! Great idea.

Heartful said...

Beautiful indeed.

Zórdís said...

Hi Miragee, I never belonged to a group and was a loner .... I consider so. Never was a nice ballerina but very atlethic and with a lot of power. Your girls are so nice and wow what a feeling they must have. Very nice as always!

carla said...

I was also a loner as a child, preferring to have one good friend at a time. But I do know what you mean about girls and the power they have to hurt others. Your illustartion is a beuatiful interpretation of the idea, and a lovely tribute to Matisse.

Weichuen You said...

Thank you guys. I like the image itself, but I had a feeling that I could make it more vivid...

Leeza Hernandez Illustrator said...

Fabulous work and wonderfult concept Miragee - I couldn't agree more!!!

Serline said...

I think it happened to most of the girls during their school days too. My daughter will come back home from school one day to tell me this friend of hers is no longer her friend but two days later, she will bring her home and they are back to friends again.