Saturday, February 18, 2006

Song / 婚禮歌手

by Weichuen You 2006

The Wedding Singer--

In their wedding, she did all the talking. He only looked at her in silent bliss. When he took over the microphone, words of love flew out of his mouth in the form of notes. It was a song written specifically for her.

Most of the guests were surprised. Some even found the act kind of comic. I remember that day, I thought to myself that I would never do something so ridiculous in my wedding.

Now when I think back, I wonder what she saw when she looked at him singing. Her smile was so dazzling. She must have seen the world to which she belonged...


在他們的訂婚宴上,她是大方的新娘,手持著麥克風,為宴會做開場,而他,只是靜靜地望著他,滿臉充滿著喜悅,輪到他說話時,他將情感化成一串串音符,他吟唱的是,專門為她而寫的歌。

他的歌聲算不上動人,不過他很有耐心地一直唱下去,剛開始不以為然的賓客感受到他的誠意,其中也包括我。

現在回想起來,我好奇她在他眼中看到的一切,那天她的微笑如此燦爛,也許她看到了心的歸宿。

I did two versions of the man, and in the end I can't tell if I prefer the one at the top. I do have to thank my dad for letting me pick the flowers on the balcony. The colors of the petals are just amazing.

這張圖有兩個版本,因為不滿意先完成的圖二,又嘗試圖一,後來我已分不清到底自己比較喜歡哪一張了。在此我要感謝我爸相贈的鮮花花瓣,為本圖增色不少。

16 comments:

isay said...

hi miragee, i like the second illo. ýou captured well the way you have described him.

by the way, you still have the chance to do an illo about the Song Dynasty if you have the desire.

have a nice weekend!

Anonymous said...

Hi Miragee, I agree with Isay about the second image ... here his heart is completely open with no shadows :) Very romantic :)

MD said...

So very lovely. beautiful colours and soft movement. I like the story that goes with them. I can't say which one is my favourite. I like the mood of both of them.
MD

Weichuen You said...

You definitely see something I didn't. It's true that the first illo seems more fauvist and doesn't go much with the story here. Thanks a lot!

Lovekandinsky said...

I like the first one the best and I love the story that goes with it. Captures the strangeness of love and the intimacy between the two who are in love. No one can truly know what has made their two hearts sing to each other.

Mike Thompson said...

The second one definitely with the softer edges. Nice job, and best of luck pursuing your dream of becoming an illustrator!

Catnapping said...

I really like the second one, best, myself. It's seems softer, more like how a man's face is when he's in love.

Anonymous said...

I don't know, I think I'm leaning towards the top illo of him. It sort of shows the angst he must be feeling at doing that in public and at the wedding no less. Yet, there is certain calm and resolved love showing through it all - which wins out as he does indeed sing. Very nice illustration of song, I'd say.
Sally

valerie walsh said...

this is so wonderful! ilove the story and your charming portraits of the man who sings flowers! really, really wonderful!

HARDWAX said...

These are wonderful, I think I like the first-a bit more intence looking-brings his emotion more in to focus for me.

Weichuen You said...

Now I am not sure which one I like better again:-). Just kidding...It's interesting that you guys make me look at them from different angles every day!

carla said...

I'm here to confuse you even more! I like the look of the top one best...it is a stronger illustration to me with the richer colors and the distinctive posterized linework. The bottom one is more pure, but think the top one is more passionate. Such a beautiful story!

ottoblotto said...

Both pieces are excellent; I like the energy in the first one best. It is very exciting!

Regina said...

Miragee, you always have such wonderful stories! Ahhh, the things people do when they are in love!

I can't decide which one I like better. I look at the top one and love the strong lines and brighter colors and think it is the best, but then I scroll down and like that one better!! It seems soft, timid and romantic. They are both very lovely! Oh, and I love the petals! They are beautiful!

Todd DeWolf said...

They both portray a really great mood. You did an excellent job. Cheers!

Ian russell said...

love them both - less conflict.

i love them both for different reasons. that's a super story too.