Showing posts with label winter. Show all posts
Showing posts with label winter. Show all posts

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Shuanglian Market / 雙連市場


前幾週參加的大同區散步之旅中,我發現原來雙連市場現在已經是日本觀光客的行程之一,而我對於市場又有某種個人的偏愛,所以在心裡暗暗立下目標,一定要抽空到現場一探究竟。

On my walking tour around Da-tong and Zhongshan Districts a few weeks ago, I was surprised to discover that Shuanglian Market has become a major tourist attraction for Japanese visitors. Having a peculiar preference for traditional markets, I swore to take a look at the market in person one day. 

雙連市場是露天市場,以狹長的主街爲中心,往兩邊的小巷延伸,依傍著公園,所以到處都可以坐下來,這對於速寫者是很重要的條件。我選了市場盡頭小貨車聚集處,坐下來安適地沈浸在畫畫的世界,想到去年此時在歐洲約莫零到五度的氣溫下速寫,我只能說台灣真是個適合冬季速寫的勝地啊!

Shuanglian Market is an open-air market, with a long and narrow street as the center lying against a small park running parallel. More vendors and shops nestle in alleys that extend from it. This is a perfect venue for sketchers because there are benches everywhere. I chose the end of street where the fruit wagons gathered because I found it a local cultural feature here. Meanwhile, the memory of my sketching in freezing Europe last year at this time surged back. I couldn't help thinking, Taiwan is such a fantastic place in winter for sketching! 

在倫敦速寫遇到搬椅子讓我坐、想要送我魚貨的小販,在台北多半是悠閒的路人來觀看,不過也有很想入鏡的歐吉桑和我說說笑笑,還有可愛的菲佣來打招呼。雖然小販沒有閒來和我交流,我還是覺得台灣的菜市場實在是很精彩的景點,難怪日本觀光客會想來晃晃。

In London, I ran into vendors that borrowed me a chair or offered me fish for free. In Taipei, it was mostly leisurely passers-by who came for a look at my sketchbook. There was also a very friendly middle-aged man who complained about not being in the picture. One lady from Southeast Asia working as a maid here gave her compliment in English. Though I wasn't so popular among vendors here, I think traditional markets in Taiwan are second to none. I can totally understand why Japanese are curious about this part of my culture. 



市場處處有可以描繪的景點,街中間有文昌帝宮,我很有野心地想要挑戰畫廟宇,但是把廟前方的小販都畫盡了才發現這已經是一張很擁擠的圖,於是畫完之後充滿歉意地和文昌君道歉。

There were endless inspirations for me. In the middle of the street is the Temple of Wenchang Emperor, who is known for blessing people with good luck in studies and taking exams. I was ambitious enough to take on the challenge of drawing the temple. However, after I finished all the details in front of the temple, I realized the image is already full. Thus, I apologized very sincerely to Wenchang Emperor before leaving. 

下次再來吧,這樣一座市場可以用上數個月或一年來紀錄,明天我要去雲林,希望那裡的市場也如此繽紛!

I'll come back. It takes months or even a year to record such a colorful market. Tomorrow I am heading for Yunlin. Hopefully the market there is equally inspiring! 

Thursday, January 03, 2013

Birds / 鳥兒


這個昏昏欲睡的冬天裡,我想起上ㄧ個冬天,當時我失眠,我的黑夜裡被大大的太陽佔據,還有不休息的鳥鳴聲陪伴。

I can't help recalling my previous winter in this drowsy winter. Being insomniac, the sun always occupied my night sky, along with the birds' melodious company.

回憶比起生活總是美麗許多。

Well, I am a master at romanticizing my memories...

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Just right / 剛剛好


昨晚又下雪了,如果說之前住的一樓是白人男孩區,現在住的三樓是中國女孩區,每當下雪時,女孩們就會興奮地聚集在外頭說說笑笑到半夜,我不介意啦,因為再嫌下去我真的就是惹人厭的歐巴桑了,今天和PK說時,他回答:他們只有二十歲啊!你太認真了,一點都不想玩樂!也許這就是我的問題。


It snowed again last night. When I lived on the first floor, I was surrounded by white boys. Now on the third floor, my neighbors are Chinese girls. Whenever it snows, the girls will gather outside talking and laughing til midnight in excitement. I don't quite mind because if I keep complaining, I will end up being the nuisance of the block. When I told PK about my new life, he replied, "They are only twenty-years old! You are too serious. You don't want to play at all!" Maybe that's my problem.


這裡我常常在路上看到奇怪的物品,今早去學校時,看到一只被遺忘的嬰兒鞋。昨晚下的雪量剛剛好,白雪只有薄薄一層,景觀上看起來很美麗,卻又不會造成路人的不便。

Here I often see weird objects on the road, which means, they aren't supposed to be there. On my way to school this morning, I saw an abandoned baby's shoe. The amount of snow last night was just right. Everything was coated with a thin layer of snow, which made everything look beautiful visually. However, it didn't inconvenience the pedestrians. 


結冰的玫瑰花。

The rose with a coat of ice on it. 




不畏冷的鴿子和小草。

Pigeons and grass weren't afraid of cold... 


週五的工作室很冷清,應該要有八個學生做蝕刻印刷,結果只有我和溫迪出現。也不錯,我們就度過很安靜但放鬆的一天。

The printmaking room on Friday was deserted. There should have been 8 students, but only Wen Dee and I turned up. That was pretty nice too. We spent a very quiet and relaxing day in there. 








下午四點半的蝕刻印刷室‧‧‧

The etching printmaking room at 4:30 pm...

Monday, February 06, 2012

Greenwich 2 / 格林威治 2

格林威治這個地方以它的海洋歷史聞名,從十五世紀開始成為王室的居住地,都鐸王朝的數名君主都出生於此。之後在英國內戰沒落,便改建為水手皇家海軍醫院。在1873年又改為皇家海軍學院,一直持續到1998年。目前的建築則屬於格林威治大學和三位一體音樂學院。

Greenwich is known for its maritime history. Since the 15th century, the town became the site of the royal palace. Many rulers of the Tudor Dynasty were born here. The palace fell into disrepair during the English Civil War, and was later rebuilt as the Royal Navy Hospital for Sailors. In 1873, it was changed to the Royal Navy College until 1998. Now the buildings belong to the University of Greenwich and Trinity College of Music.




大學裡有專屬的博物館介紹格林威治和這些建築的歷史。

There is a museum in the university to introduce the history of Greenwich and the buildings. 


古文物。

Old antiques. 


船艙。

The boat cabin. 




這就是真的船了!

This is a real ship! 





格林威治碼頭。

Greenwich Pier. 







泰晤士河風光。

The riverscape along the Thames. 






這些建築現在都是格林威治大學的校區。

These buildings are part of University of Greenwich now. 


我去的時候剛好是開放參觀日,有很多爸爸媽媽帶著要上大學的孩子們來看環境,穿藍色衣服的是在校生,幫忙為大家解答疑惑。

I happened to go on the open day. Many parents took their freshmen-to-be kids to take a look at the school. The young people in blue are the university students helping to answer questions. 


我猜這是接駁巴士。

I guess this is the shuttle bus. 


舊教堂。

The Old Chapel. 


吃過午餐之後去格林威治公園散步。

After lunch, I took a walk in Greenwich Park. 




從格林威治公園的山丘上可以俯看皇宮區。

From the hill in Greenwich Park, I got a lovely overview of the palace. 




格林威治天文台。

Greenwich Observatory. 


情人節不知道如何慶祝的人可以來格林威治天文館看星星,應該很浪漫吧!

For those who don't know how to celebrate Valentine's Day, here is my idea--come to the planetarium for a star show. Should be romantic... 


倫敦各個公園裡都有為狗主人設置的垃圾桶。

In parks in London, there are bins designed for dog owners everywhere. 


我喜歡這樣寧靜美好的週六午后。

I love such a serene and lovely Saturday afternoon. 


兩個小女孩和爸爸很認真地研究樹上的冰柱,果然是要下雪的前兆‧‧‧

Two little girls and their dad studied seriously the icicle that hung from the tree. It was a sign of snow... 





好看的樹。

Handsome trees. 


公園裡有小山丘,風景很特別。

There are small hills in the park, so the scenery is different from that in other parks. 






皇后之家是為安皇后所建,因為天氣很冷,這裡又免費,我就進去避寒。

The Queen's House was constructed for Queen Anne. Because it was freezing and the museum was free, I went in for some warmth. 


感謝皇后的眷顧,格林威治整個就是被王室恩德籠罩的好所在,卻又平易近人,不像溫莎那樣大排場。

I really thanked the queen for such a favor. Greenwich feels like a very approachable place basking in the good fortune endowed by the royal family. There is no such pomp as that of Windsor. 


連一邊畫圖導覽都跑來和我訴說皇后之家的歷史。

Even when I was sketching, the tour guide came to tell me about the history of the Queen's House. 


這個軍官太太很樸實,讓我很想畫她。

The wife of the general was plain-looking, which marked her from the other portraits. I felt like drawing her. 


回家的路上發現了大秘密─原來郵車之家在這裡!

On my way home I found a HUGE secret--here is the home of post trolleys! 


我決定不參加自行車背心的設計比賽,不過我從探索倫敦的旅行中學到這個城市真的有太多可以看的東西,對於能夠在兩週之內就把倫敦精神表現出來的同學我很敬佩,因為我需要好幾個月以上的時間才能整理倫敦的生活經驗,一輩子能在這裡生活一段時間,我是真的很幸運啊!

I decided not to take part in the design competition of the bike jersey. But I've learned that there is so much for me to see in London. I greatly admire my classmates who can grasp the spirits of London in two weeks. For me, it will take more than months to go through my experiences of living in this city. I am definitely very very lucky to spend some time here in my lifetime! 

Everyone loves snow! / 大家都愛下雪天!


下雪的夜晚,天空是橘色的,昨天半夜還可以聽到年輕人們瘋狂的叫聲,許多人等這場雪很久了‧‧‧

On snowy nights, the sky is orange. Late into last night I could hear the young people scream with joy. The snow had been long awaited... 


今天來去看看雪中的米亞田野公園。

I went to Myatt's Fields Park in the snow this afternoon. 


 一進公園就遇到打雪仗的孩子。

As soon as I walked into the park, I saw two kids playing hard in the snow... 


這紅蘿蔔為何會出現在雪地中呢?

What is the red carrot doing here? 


小狗愛下雪天。

Dogs love snow. 


小馬愛下雪天。

Horses love snow. 


小朋友當然也愛下雪。

Kids do too!


房子變漂亮了!

Houses become more beautiful. 


樹木變可口的雪糕。

Trees become yummy popsicles. 


地上灑了一層厚厚的糖霜。

The ground is covered in a thick layer of icing.


我也很開心。

I am happy too. 


因為有可愛的雪人!

Because there are cute snowmen!


紅蘿蔔的謎解開了!

The mystery of the red carrot is solved!