Wednesday, February 28, 2007
It always takes me ages to start my carnet of voyage after returning from a trip. A beautiful reason for this is that my inspiration hardly stops flowing, if you may excuse my boldness to say so. My comics "Bali of Three" comes a little bit late, but I am making progress on a daily basis. Please be patient for my snail-pace update.
I want to thank my favorite travel companion Huei and the most adorable driver in the world, Yanto, for making my trip so full of laughter and tears...
Friday, February 23, 2007
Two days ago I accidentally found my little brother's shoe box, waiting to be recycled. Since canvas can be quite costly, I was thrilled to have free cardboard for practice. I then turned the plain shoe box into a very happy one by painting pleasant images...
Wednesday, February 14, 2007
Monday, February 12, 2007
I haven't played the tag game for a long while. Constance tagged me weeks ago about a similar topic I had done two years ago--six weird things about myself. As close friends know, I have tons of weird habits. But to be more precise, this time I'd like to place the focus on traveling and share my treasured photos with you.
photo taken on the Kuta beach, 2007
1. Particular about my companion: Taking a trip together is the biggest test for any relationship, so I select my traveling companion with prudence. That doesn't mean I am a callous person. I just don't want to ruin our friendship. With the right person, a trip will take you up to heaven. With a wrong choice, the whole trip will end up hellish. The camera girl in the photo is chosen as my favorite companion in years. The mutual understanding between us is just beyond description.
photo taken at the airport train station, Rome, 2006
2. "Toiling" for freedom: I have not traveled with a tour group since the age of 20, and I don't plan to do so in the future. While dragging the heavy baggage and sweating like a pig, I often ask myself why I opt for such self-abuse instead of the deluxe and easy itineraries of tour group traveling. However, I am comforted at seeing other independent travelers do the same thing. It's a beautiful scene that everyone pulls hard their luggage and goes for their respective destinations. There're always surprises lying in wait along the way or at the end of the journey. As a backpacker, I thus have more opportunities to interact with local people and other travelers. I quite enjoy myself when getting lost and feel proud when finding my way. I especially love roaming around and ending in a renowned tourist spot without seriously consulting maps. Well, convenient as tour group travel might be, I cherish more the freedom of an independent traveler!
photo taken in Rome, 2006
3. Particular about toilet facilities: I am not an extragavant person, but I don't want to suffer during trips. Besides, I am unbelievably paranoid about health issues. There's nothing glorious about "my little problem," so I prefer to be more low-key here. Because of it, I have to check the photos of bathrooms with the magnifying scope before making reservations. If I am not so sure, I'll write to the hotel staff before making final decisions. Well, I am not that hard to please. I accept the little toilet in the photo as well...
photo taken at Colosseum, Rome, 2006
4. Paparazzi instinct comes to life: In daily lives, I often miss lovely scenes because of laziness. Fortunately, my paparazzi instinct never fails to be revived when traveling. When I spot good-looking people or scenes, no matter how far they are, I'll figure out ways to capture them with my dear camera.
photo taken at Borghese Villa, Rome, 2006
5. Distinct preference for quiet parks and botanical gardens: My daily life has shown to me the dark and expensive sides of living in big cities. I am not into name brands, so it isn't a pity at all for me to miss the boutique streets. I can't but feel elated when I find quiet parks and green botanical gardens by accident. I don't mind if they are hot tourist attractions. At least, I see a kind of beauty different from the Gucci or Prada boutiques in Taipei.
photo taken at the main train station, Florence, 2006
6. I don't mind waiting: Waiting is part of traveling. I wait for the next flight, wait for the next bus, wait for a free table etc. Luckily, there are stories unfolding around me while I am waiting. When it comes to waiting on my trips, I have endless patience.
Sunday, February 04, 2007
Friday, February 02, 2007
You yesterday sent two postcards from the tropical Bali Island to me today. You wanted me to feel that warm summer air.
You'd like to show me around on that lovely island. We even had a gorgeous driver!
Look at the crowds that gathered on the beach of Kuta. The white clouds were too perfect to be true. The waves made heavenly music unceasingly.認命淳厚的巴里島人，行進和工作間，有著言語難以形容的迷人。
The serious and simple Balinese people exuded a certain charm beyond description when they were on the move and at work.
I left the summer in Bali yesterday, but I am missing it badly...